Sunday, January 25, 2009

Getting Back On Track

My Name is Carlo and I am Undocumented.

Shesh, I've read the change.org articles that start of like that but it feels different now that I've written it myself. Like it's official now. I guess it's acceptance. Anyway, I've always wanted to start a blog about my own life, but everytime i start one it, it never feels right. Whether it was the way the words were combined or the story that was being told, it never felt right to press the "publish post" button. My story starts off like this:

Like most undocumented students, also known as "d.r.e.a.m.ers," I was bought here when I was very young, six to be exact. I came here on a tourist visa, and over stayed. I dont want to get too detailed because, yes, it's almost like everyone elses. I found out that I was undocumented when I was a sophomore in highschool because my parents were told to return home (not deported). I stayed in the states and finished high school, and went to college. Here's a key difference:

In May 2008, My parents returned because my sister was born in the states and had turned 21 a few years earlier, so she was able to petition my parents. Well that leaves me and my younger brother in a pickle. As most of you know, the wait time for petitioning a sibling is freaking long as heck, 6-14 years to be exact (for a green card, through my sister). Also, my parents can petition me and my brother now as legal residents 9-14 years (for a green card). Yes, some of you say "hey at least there's a way for you." And to that, yes, it's true but... well, I'll answer that in another blog and maybe also the the difference between me and my brother (how im more screwed because i was born earlier). But further into the subject matter (why this blog is called "Getting Back On Track"). I was devistated when my parents left (future blog) but i was able to...some what thrive. But when college arrived, and i was soppose to face the next level of reality that is "AB-540" student, something delayed it. Or more precisely, someone. (future blog).

I use to be the "smart kid." Before I found out that my parents had to leave, I was a 4.0 student, in the running to make valedictorian (sp?) and even after they left, 3.5 overall in highschool. I was the sports junkie, specifically basketball (played my frosh and soph yr). I was the health nut, "watch those calories, and get those abs." Music was a passion and playing the guitar an escape. I was the early bird, 6 am on saturdays (just because). I was the clean freak, room was always clean! But the key words in this paragraph are "i use to be." I've completely fallin off every single aspect of what I've described. But it's not impossible to return. I've just been in the mentality that i can put it off until the DREAM act passes and then i can get back on track.

But it's time that i dust myself off, and face this. I need to stand up and fight when it's hard, not when it's easy. It's time that I face the AB-54o fact. I have to face the fact that it wont be easy. I have to face the fact that it isnt and won't be fair. That what should take 15 minutes will take 3 hours. I have to face the fact the i have to work around people's schedules, not mine. I have to face the fact the my mind and my heart is in utter pain and confusion. That though i want to stay a kid and remain oblivious of this world's pain and anguish, this world wont let me. So it's about time i stop crying about it. It's time to get back on track.

P.S.
Thanks to quingshu on DAP for being one of the motivating factors. Though i agree with "ready to serve" that it is "easier said then done." So some feed back would be nice to hear as encouragement and hopefully i do get back on track. Another Shout Out goes to Dreamerhippie for the last blog on change.org, i enjoyed reading your thoughts and parts of your life's stuggles as well as hopes and dreams. Also, this may seems random, but to Ianus, dude(guy?), thanks for all the articles that relate to DREAM and immigration in general. How you're the first to come across them, ill never figure out. And Lastly, DreamACTivist, thanks for the hard work you're doing for all the DREAMIES. Let's get starbucks again.

Well that's it for now. I still have a lot of subjects to talk about, but please, give me some responses. It's nice to write for myself, but it's also great to know people out there is responding to it. Please leave a message. Until then, God Bless and take care fellow DREAMERS and DREAM supporters and random fools who run into this blog.

1 comment: